Lord Rhyolith Heroic

Here is where you can find helpful data about our raid encounters in WoW

Moderator: Officers

Lord Rhyolith Heroic

Postby Kurrelgyre » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:17 pm

As we may be heading to see Mr Rhyolith again tonight I thought it might be worth starting a thread to see if anyone had any feedback about yesterday's attempts.

One thing I considered is dropping us down to 7 melee on the legs (from 8) and having 1 extra person to help deal with the 10 small adds.
I believe our Furry(TM) warriors have very strong AoE - Is this correct ?

We could then have 3 dps on each leg, with me as a joker (no change there then) attacking his middle leg.....

Not sure if the amount of dps required to turn him has also been increased in heroic ? Possibly not, so might be worth a try as the little adds did seem to be causing some problems.
Kurrelgyre

Re: Lord Rhyolith Heroic

Postby Vinkle » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:21 pm

I also have a strong AoE (howling blast is overpowered)... I actually thought about suggesting that last night, but then thought there may be an inbalance of DPS on the feet.
Vinkle

Postby Vinkle » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:37 pm

I'd also like to quickly add that i'm going to be trialing out unholy again tonight, From my tests last night it has a stronger AoE with all the diseases/DnD.
Vinkle

Postby Kurrelgyre » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:01 pm

Good progress last night I thought.
Into Phase 2 with most alive - although dying pretty much straight away.
Next challenge - survive the transition.

I believe the reason we were dying so fast is that he had already gained significant (16 ?) stacks of the Superheated buff - each of which increases his damage by 10%
He gets this buff 5 minutes into the fight and it acts as a soft enrage.
Suppose this suggests that we need to get him down to 25% more quickly.

Whilst in normal mode the focus was on steering him, without worrying too much about how much dps was being done - heroic requires us to focus on doing maximum dps and steering him well.

btw. for Mjol's benefit (hope the arm is recovering) :
Alysrazor (normal) is down. We went there whilst waiting for raid to fill up.
We used 7 melee to steer Rhyo, with the extra melee helping on the little adds. Vinkle and Igby's AOE seemed to help keep these under control.
Need to slow/snare the liquid obsidian as much as possible - otherwise they rebuild Rhyo's armour and slow down phase 1. Some guides suggest dpsing the little adds over a patch of liquid's so that both are dps'ed down.
Steering with only 7 was fine - although, as said above, may make the dps requirement tougher to meet.

Assignments were :
Left : Me, Cog, Callia, Chris
Right : Naushika, Jolbo, Grey
Big Add (4) : Hells, Nymph, Paul, Tus
Small Adds : Maceo, Igby, Vinkle, Celadon, Async ?
Tanks : Wiberg, Otta
Not sure how many healers we had ?
Kurrelgyre

Postby Tusvor » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:29 pm

We had 7 healers
Tusvor

Postby Mjöl » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:28 pm

sounds good ! thank you very much for writing all down, helps a lot !
Thanks to the Themark for my avatar ! (Breast and Arms on Pic not edited, only Hair photoshopped. Seriously.)
Mjöl
Site Admin

Postby Kurrelgyre » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Think we had some good tries last night. Steering of the boss seemed to go pretty well.

Couple of things I spotted re-reading some tactics :

Mages, Paladins, and Rogues can remove stacks of a debuff (Eruption, applied by volcanoes), which increases fire damage taken (Eruption, applied by volcanoes), by using respectively Ice Block, Divine Shield, and Cloak of Shadows.
Might be worth doing this when we are about to go into Phase 2 ? Could make the healers life a little easier if 5 or 6 of the raid lose their eruption stacks ?

Rhyolith kills everyone in Liquid Phase (below 30%)
The damage of Rhyolith in phase 2 with stacks of Molten armor is huge. Never let Rhyolith move to phase 2 with stacks of Molten Armor, else you will wipe. Wait for his stacks to run off and then move him to phase 2 (Liquid Phase). Always be stacked up before phase 2 starts.

We need to check how many stacks of molten armor he has before we push Phase 2. Molten armor is not the same as the stacks that we remove by driving him through active volcanoes.
He gains the Molten armor stacking buff when he steps on a dormant (not active) volcano, and it buffs his damage by 5% per stack.
He loses a stack every time he casts stomp, or summons adds.
So we have to balance getting him to P2 as soon as possible to avoid superheated versus slowing dps to let stacks of molten armor drop off versus allowing liquid obsidian to catch up to him and put some of his armor back.

I cannot find any mention of bad things happening if he still has a few stacks of his obsidian armor up going into phase 2.
All the tactics sites say that his armor shatters as he enters - but cannot see if this ahttering causes any damage.
if it does not then we should not worry if he still has maybe 16 stacks of armor as it will drop off anyway going into p2.
Kurrelgyre

Postby Helsbells » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:21 pm

I found quite a few video's on this fight but very few written tactic's. All the video's suggest taking the big spark to 1 side with only 1 tank and 1 ranged as you don't need to burn him down that quickly leaving the other dps on the little adds and the legs. Learntoraid had the best video/quality out of the rest of them which i watched on youtube. One of the other guilds had the little ones tanked with the bosses legs so they where getting spash damage from the melee so all melee where on the legs as well as the ranged bar 1 that was on the big spark and it took them 4 minutes 57 seconds to kill the boss.

The constant theme in every video was every single ranged stacked with the camera view (ranged) looking down covering the whole island so you could see the magma flows perfectly before they can hit you.
Helsbells

Return to Tactics