Lord Rhyolith 25 Man

Here is where you can find helpful data about our raid encounters in WoW

Moderator: Officers

Lord Rhyolith 25 Man

Postby ellybelle » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:20 pm

This boss cannot be tanked until his health reaches 30%, so both tanks will be tanking adds in Phase 1, and it's recommended to use two tanks for them. FYI Healers - the guide says that tank damage is low but raid damage high for this fight.

It is recommended that the melee dps the boss's leg at all times, you move him by damaging his leg, so the guide recommends that you all dps the left leg and move him in circles around the room (he's going to move left if you dps left leg, right if you dps right leg). Sounds easy, but you want to also kite him into some things which spawn on the floor and must keep him away from other things (or it's a wipe). This, evidently, requires a lot of communication on vent, and it's suggested to use a melee dps to call out instructions to the other dps during the fight. Ranged dps can stand in the middle with the healers and kill the adds.

Don't let Rhyolith reach the outer circle of the room, or it's a wipe. Don't let him run in a straight line, keep him circling. Volcanoes will spawn, try to kite him through them, but watch out for eruptions which must be avoided. After the volcanoes erupt they become craters. When he steps into a crater, it reduces his stack of Obsidian Armor. He starts the fight with 80 stacks Obsidian Armor, which reduce his damage taken by 80%. Each crater will take away a stack and his damage reduction by 1%.

Rhyolith casts concussive stomp, everyone should jump to avoid being damaged by it.

Rhyolith casts Thermal Ignition which will spawn 5 small adds which should be tanked by 1 tank. They must die within 30 seconds or they will explode and kill people. They deal more damage the longer they are alive, so they should be a dps priority for the ranged.

Rhyolith also summons a big add called the spark of Rhyolith. It hits really hard and does loads of aoe, they say this spark causes most wipes. The add should be picked up quickly, misdirects are really helpful and tanked away from the raid. Always move away from this add unless you are the main tank.

Stop dps on Rhyolith at 32% and allow his molten armor stacks to drop off, then all dps focus on him and bring him to 30%. Never let him go into phase 2 with molten armor or it's a raid wipe. Melee dps should join all the others in the center for big aoe heals.

At 30% hp, the boss turns into a fire golem and does loads of aoe damage, burn all aoe heal cooldowns to survive the transition. At this point the boss will be tankable. Pick him up, melee return to the boss, blow heroism and spank him til he's dead.

Evidently it's quite hard to get used to moving the boss about and lots of wipes happen because he reaches the edge of the room and just kills everyone because you've got to keep him away from the edge.

Sometimes volcanoes spawn in the middle of the room, all the healers and ranged will have to be aware of it and move out of it or they'll all die on eruption.

Gauntlet trash and 25m boss fight video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XfPrbmp ... detailpage
ellybelle

Re: Lord Rhyolith 25 Man

Postby ellybelle » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:38 am

video added (with trash explain)
ellybelle

Postby Cogwhirl » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:02 pm

*bump* for tonight.

Cog
If oranges are orange, why aren't bananas yellow?
"Rogues don't do buffs or other group things. If you want a hug ask the Paladin."
Cog's Armory link.
Cogwhirl

Postby Mjöl » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:14 am

Checked more tatctic guides, doing some more research until sunday.

Basically more of them are not even talking much about positionating in p1, its more lik "once you get how to move the boss around steering, and bombing the adds, its a almost boring phase" and "when people avoid unnecessary damage, there is also not to heal that much.

So it comes down also to have a positon where the people are comfortable moving.
I can see that middle is good in terms of adds collecting, and i can see that side is good for the overview. Well, more info coming up here soon.
Thanks to the Themark for my avatar ! (Breast and Arms on Pic not edited, only Hair photoshopped. Seriously.)
Mjöl
Site Admin

Postby ellybelle » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:49 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... b9fnBG7uKc
good video, heroic version, lock pov
ellybelle

Postby Duraino » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:24 pm

im all for looking at heroic kills tactics when we actually can truthfully say we can do anything heroic
which we cant

here is a vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYK1Yqg_i20

that couldnt get anymore simpler and very well detailed
from a tank view also allows you to see that they not all standing in dead centre

just saying we need to wake up if we want to kill bosses and realise i flaws rather than trying to do what we see on kills that clearly out way our skill base

also serenity as far as i know make there own kill tactics cause its tailored for us
I vouch if we have a prob with tactics in raid time rather take it to forum and we plan it out
we waisted so much time last night argueing it and in the end hurt feelings im sure.

we a team we dont need to get all emotional man ....les just bloody raid and do what we came to do.
i do think suggestions is always the way to go...but i find myself always trying to hold my tongue till after raid and stating my case with mjol

im not perfect i do moan sometimes but mjol just tell us shut up and put it in forum
case closed in my opinion

also i found chatting to an officer will allow them to communicate the feeling better to the peeps in charge

any my 2c
*** Pally <3 4 eva ****
Duraino

Postby ellybelle » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:27 pm

is this to me?
ellybelle

Postby Duraino » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:37 pm

nope its my thoughts - first sentence can be associated to you yes...but its more my feeling on why that video doesn't help us

the rest is about raid in general with my thoughts.

if you reading it as me flaming you ...then you dont know enough by now.
i kind of say things with out filters ...but u shouldnt read it as elly this ..elly that...

im guilty in this post just as much as anyone....
*** Pally <3 4 eva ****
Duraino

Postby Asyncritus » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:09 pm

Firstly, I am glad these forums are in use again. Planning and discussing tactics is a healthy thing for the raid group.

Personally I don't mind if the video linked is heroic or normal, as I understand it the mechanics of the fights are pretty similar just the numbers involved change.
I would seriously hope that Serenity is a guild that can tackle heroic encounters. If people are approaching the raids with the attitude that just struggling to kill bosses on normal mode is good enough then I need to re-open recruitment again. One of the key responsibilities ANY raider has is to understand the mechanics and different strategy options for the progress fights. The more productive the discussions and information linked here hopefully the better our progress, because I am absolutely sure that ALL our raiders will have watched some basic videos and read a tactic site or two otherwise they have no place in a raiding guild.
There are no stupid people, just those who are unlucky when they think.

"Never argue with an idiot... They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
Asyncritus

Postby Duraino » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:09 pm

i don't mind it neither - but just fearful that we trying to promote an heroic tactic so late in the fight when the video i linked was same tactic as our first set of attempts and already had I think 3 could of been more success's at getting to phase 2 just seemed a little bizaar .

"If people are approaching the raids with the attitude that just struggling to kill bosses on normal mode is good enough then I need to re-open recruitment"

its not that I'm enforcing that attitude just trying to be realistic....nothing bad comes out of seeing things realistic as long as there is also healthy optimism.
hell we could be realm first also ...just need people to be more dedicated and watch that yellow glowing poo under there feet.

anyway i get allot of flak when i make these posts i tend to say things from a sharp point of a blade...but i mean well ...use it loose it.
*** Pally <3 4 eva ****
Duraino

Postby Redbully » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:48 am

tbh just let me loose on this boss on my own, I'll solo it case closed. You guys can just watch from afar as my pure awesomesauce defeats the boss!
Redbully

Postby Duraino » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:40 am

tbh just let me loose on this boss on my own, I'll solo it case closed. You guys can just watch from afar as my pure awesomesauce defeats the boss!

bwahahaha u couldn't solo hogger mate :P
*** Pally <3 4 eva ****
Duraino

Postby ellybelle » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:30 pm

Having watched Duraino's video, I see that the lightwells and the ranged raid stay primarily on the center platform (after the first stomp) as was suggested in the other tactics. I agree that the spark should not be tanked there, but to the side, in range of the raid.
ellybelle

Postby Mjöl » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:26 pm

As written in http://www.icy-veins.com/lord-rhyolith- ... d-strategy
what is important in phase 1 is that the ranged dps/helaers need to be stacked up to make the Aoe healing more efficent.
Melee will be exclusively on Ryo.
So, they write, there are 2 things to look out for, Spark of Rhyolith (big add) that should be at any way tanked away from the raid due to the firedamge, and the craters who will do their Magma Flow lava streams.

Looking at all abilitys and past trys on this encounter, i can see 1 positive when being stacked up in the middle: That is, that it is easier for the small addtank to collect the adds and its less likely there are some on the loose and will attack healers. Opposing to that the negatives:
- the view can be, and will be in most trys bad, since its likely the boss will wander through the screen and will block the view.
- When the boss will be wandering there in the middle, its a higher risk of getting the knockback effect of his stomp effect
- If, which was the case the last raid, the boss is wandering near the middle, and there spawns a volcano including lava streams, there is a high chance players will get damage since its not visible if they are standing in that lavastreams, nor where they should exactly move to to move out of it.

Now, this fight should be seen in phase 1 as a 2 camp fight. Camp 1 will be the melees, including the required healers that will heal that group and will move along with the boss.

Camp2, is the ranged camp, including the 2 tanks. Some tactics speak of 1 tank if the dps is able to dps down small/big adds in time, but for now we will stay with the saver 2 tank method.

Important is now then not where the camp is actually placed, but that the group is stacked up for easier healing.
Im now after trying the different positions fully convinced that the camp2 position should be at the side of the plateau. It simple gives more overview, more space, and also finally also the "steering group" more space to move the boss without getting in danger in coming in range to the camp2, nor the Spark + Tank.

The 1 ability that will become harder to deal with then standing in the middle, is the inital collecting of adds from the tanks + to bring them into position. This will require both tanks to be always on their toes and collect that adds immidatly + hunters and rogues (none there tonight) to MD on the loose adds quickly.

Besides, one important factor in learning an encounter is, and always was, sticking to 1 kind of tactic, and not switching in the middle after hours of expierence with 1 method to a other tactic, that is of course, and thats the main job of raidleading, to analyse the wipes and decide if the wipes was either of a not working tactic, or of individual mistakes. I cannot see the tactic was wrong on the side, nor that it caused unnecessary problems. Plus, this tactic was 2 times letting reach the raid phase2.

However, it was rather quick wipes then there, due to high stacks of firedamage etc. This however is a subject of learning and doing things quicker after learning them etc.

Anyway, besides of the infamous "where should the raid stand" discussion, some other things to point out:
- Before the boss reaches 25% and therefor goes into phase2, all stacks of his obsidianarmor should have been removed, otherwise that will wipe the raid
- After reaching phase2, its a very similar fight as Beththiac, the raid gets regular firedamage all few secs, which hurt muhc more since the raid will have the vulnerable to firedmg debuff - so its quick burn there
- Around the middle of phase1 the priority to kill the Spark quick will become higher and higher until the end of that phase, simply because the damage of the spark will do more and more dmg with the debuff
- the raid needs for the entire fight either Elemental resistance totem, or Resistance Aura, and that for both groups.

So much for that, and now im learning a bit more about the phönix fight, because im pretty sure with sticking to this tactic here the boss shouldnt be much longer up.
Alysrazar is btw called in the article i read the first "harder" boss of the instance, so there we might need more time.
Thanks to the Themark for my avatar ! (Breast and Arms on Pic not edited, only Hair photoshopped. Seriously.)
Mjöl
Site Admin

Postby Asyncritus » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:44 am

http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/08/03/spiritual-guidance-the-shadow-priests-guide-to-lord-rhyolith/#continued

Generally useful info and overview. DOT classes should be careful with the legs, stick to direct damage spells only. This maybe why he is sometimes easy to turn and sometimes hard. Possibly the same with bleed effects from melee?
There are no stupid people, just those who are unlucky when they think.

"Never argue with an idiot... They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
Asyncritus

Next

Return to Tactics