LEFT | Xirouz

Moderator: Officers

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:56 pm

Crushingblow immunity is different for paladins than its for warriors. Paladins have holyshield that is 8 blocks when warriors have only 2. This means paladin is crushing immune if boss aint hitting faster than 1.25hit/s, which is basicly all the time. This makes huge difference for paladin and warrior tanks at fast hitting bosses and ofc that helps also at AOEtanking several mobs. Warriors and paladins have both change to be totally passively crushing immunes, but paladins Holyshield gives him change to focus more on stuff like stam/armor/spelldmg. For more info about paladin tanking in general you can ofc read from. http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.htm ... 9826&sid=1

Also addon called tankpoints helps greatly when deciding enchants and gems for your current gear.

Thanks from several answer btw :) hope i see you soon :)

Examples lvl 73 (boss lvl) has 10,6% Miss change on me, i have 19,76 dodge against lvl 73, 15,60 parry, and block 54,04 when holyshield on. Which is total 100,00% avoidance for crushingblows. These are my real stats against boss 73 lvl mobs. Ive twinked it to that increasing my stam and armor still beeing able to keep crushing immunity. When i get better gear its obviously easier, these are unpuffedstats.

Postby Noblehammer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:00 am

Anonymous wrote:Crushingblow immunity is different for paladins than its for warriors. Paladins have holyshield that is 8 blocks when warriors have only 2. This means paladin is crushing immune if boss aint hitting faster than 1.25hit/s, which is basicly all the time. This makes huge difference for paladin and warrior tanks at fast hitting bosses and ofc that helps also at AOEtanking several mobs. Warriors and paladins have both change to be totally passively crushing immunes, but paladins Holyshield gives him change to focus more on stuff like stam/armor/spelldmg. For more info about paladin tanking in general you can ofc read from. http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.htm ... 9826&sid=1

Also addon called tankpoints helps greatly when deciding enchants and gems for your current gear.

Examples lvl 73 (boss lvl) has 10,6% Miss change on me, i have 19,76 dodge against lvl 73, 15,60 parry, and block 54,04 when holyshield on. Which is total 100,00% avoidance for crushingblows. These are my real stats against boss 73 lvl mobs. Ive twinked it to that increasing my stam and armor still beeing able to keep crushing immunity. When i get better gear its obviously easier, these are unpuffedstats.

hmm yh, well i think we got a difference in opionion into what exactly is passive

you mentioned it is possible to be passively immune to crushing blows however i take the word passively immune to mean to be without doing anything at all, so infact if you are raising shield block or using holyshield that is not passive, ur gonna need very good gear atleast hyjal BT stuff to be properly passively immune.

and yh i like the addon tank points, however it can sometimes be misleading in terms of stamina and dodge, e.g the more dodge u get the higher than tank points i have 82581 tank points right now but i know if i gemmed/enchanted all my gear for dodge then i would get higher tank points but that wont be the best tank gear, so yh as a general guide its nice but dont take it as absolute fact.
Last edited by Noblehammer on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noblehammer

Postby Slamdorff » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:01 am

Before you get to complicated - here is how it works.

For warriors its extremely easy to reach uncritability (harder to be uncruhable - a lot are not due to shield blocks 75% rating increase)

This fine read is thanks to Aergis of Scarlet Crusade:

Critical Hits.
The first step is to eliminate all critical hits which does 200% of thier regular damage . The chance a mob has to crit you is directly related to your defense skill. They only recieve a base weapon skill of 5 per level. A lvl 70 mob has a 350 weapon skill ( 5 * 70 ). A player at lvl 70 has 350 defense ( 5 per level ). If the mob's weapon skill and a player's defense skill are the same, the mob has a base 5% chance to get a critical strike.

This can be lowered by increasing defense skill. For every 25 points of defense the chance of being crit is lowered by 1% while the chance of being missed is raised by 1%. To negate the 5% crit on a lvl 70 mob, you will need 475 defense ( 350 base + ( 25 * 5 )). For lvl 73 mobs, you will need 490 defense ( 350 base + ( 25 * 5 ) + an extra 15 to make up for the 15 weapon skill increase of the mob ).

Crushing Blows.
Now that you cannot be crit by any mob in the game, you have reduced your damage income by quite a bit. However, a lvl 73 raid boss can still hit you with a crushing blow, which deals 150% normal damage. The benefit defense will have on a crushing blow is capped at 350, your base defense of 5 * your level. There is a minimum chance of 15% that a mob 3+ levels higher than you will land a crushing blow.

There is no direct way to reduce the 15% crushing blow from lvl 73 bosses. However a block, dodge, parry, or miss cannot be a crushing blow. The only way to do it is to make sure that you either block, dodge, or parry every attack. When an attack is made, a single random number is generated and compared to attack table that is defined by your overall mitigation attributes. The attack table has been shown to have a ranking order, and it looks like this :

This is the most important part!! Edit, Slam
Code:
The following table is laid out in descending order of the precedence of one attack result over another. That is to say, the entries at the top of the table take precedence over the entries below them. (This precedence order is from Blizzard, and as such is accurate.)

Miss
Dodge
Parry
Block
Critical
Crushing Blow
ordinary hit

This means the outcome of a normal attack can only be one of the items listed in the table. It cannot be a blocked crit, or a parried crushing blow. The key factor here is the order in which the table is listed. As soon as the table adds up to 100 from top to bottom, anything below the bottom "falls off" the table and can therefore never happen. The idea is to raise the combined values of miss, dodge, parry, and block from gear and abilities to be 100% or higher, thus pushing crushing blow and ordinary hits completly off the table.

end

Miss:
A lvl 70 player has a natural 5% chance to be missed by an equal level mob. For each level above the player, a mob gains 0.2% chance to hit from his 5 weapon skill increase. For lvl 73 bosses, your base miss rate is reduced to 4.4%. But remember that each 25 points of defense lowers your chance to be crit by 1% and increases your chance to be missed by 1%. When you mouse-over the defense stat on your character sheet, it will tell you how much you are increasing miss and decreasing crit. At around 500 defense, the increase to miss will be about 6 against a lvl 70 mob, 5.4 against a lvl 73 boss, so a total of around 10. There is no way to increase this number other than what is derived from defense skill.

Dodge:
Dodge is the same as miss, but is it's own category because it can be increased from gear, agility, and abilities. As with dodge, it reduces the damage intake from physical attacks to 0. The dodge rating coefficient is 18.9 dodge rating to 1% dodge. It takes 19.55 agility to gain 1% dodge for a paladin.

Parry:
Parry also reduces the damage intake to 0 but reduces the time for your next swing. The reduction amount is a flat 40% of your normal swing time. It can only be increased by parry rating or talents. It takes 31.5 parry rating to gain 1% parry.

Block:
When an attack is Blocked, it does not necessarily mean that the target takes no damage. A Block attack-result inflicts the same damage as a normal hit, but reduced by an amount based on the your Block value and Strength. The formula for reduction is listed as [(Shield block value) + ((Strength / 20) - 1)]. Block is the least valuable when the damage is high per hit because you only block a small percentage of the damage. The block rating to block% reflects this as it only costs 7.9 block rating for 1% block.

Defense:
On top of reducing the rate at which a mob can crit you, defense skill also raises miss, dodge, parry, and block by a factor of 0.04 for each skill level of defense above the mobs weapon skill ( 350 for lvl 70 mobs, 365 for lvl 73 ). At 490 defense, you have increased miss, dodge, parry, and block by 5% against a lvl 73 boss.

"Magic 60%":
We now have some gear choices to make if we want to increase our combined miss/dodge/parry/block to 100%. Remembering that we have holy shield, we only need to get this number to 70% and let holy shield cover the last 30%. Miss is around 9.8% from 500 defense against a lvl 73 boss. So we need to get dodge, parry, and block only up to 60% total to remove all chances of a crushing blow.

We can keep piling on defense skill to increase all 4 percentages, but the payoff is less than getting pure rating on specific attributes. You would effectivley need another 300 defense skill to gain the extra 49% above your base miss/dodge/parry/block% at 350 defense ( which is 5% miss, 0.7% dodge, 10% parry with talents, 5% block ). I would venture to say that 650 defense is impossible to achieve.

We can try to get individual bonuses to end up at 20% dodge, 20% parry, 20% block. However we should also realize that the damage taken from a block is still very high against hard hitting bosses. We would be better off to look for the other two attributes to raise since they allow us to recieve 0 damage from the attack.

Parry would be the ideal canidate to stack higher than the rest since we get faster attacks from each parry, thus increasing threat while keeping damage at 0. Parry though is very costly at 31.5 parry rating per 1% and is not as common on gear as dodge or block.

Dodge then is then our best choice. It is moderatly priced at 18.9 rating per 1% and is readibly available on lots of gear. It is also raised by agility which makes it even easier to increase. I will add a post in the gear section soon with some easily obtainable dodge plate gear and enchants to stack.

102.4%
Since bosses are lvl 73, they reduce the benefit to your miss/dodge/parry/block from defense by 0.2% per level above your level. Because of this you will need to gain another 0.6% overall avoidance/mitigation per level, or 2.4% total. The numbers on your character sheet assume you are fighting an equal level mob, and thus you need to add another 2.4% to completely remove crushings ( which only come from mobs 3 levels above ). So the final goal is to hit 102.4% on your character sheet to make 100% against a lvl 73 boss.

But what about holy shield threat?
The threat generated from holy shield is very nice, however should not be taken over your own survivability. Also remember that holy shield only has 4 charges every 10 seconds where it deals damage. Losing one of those charges by dodging when you would have blocked will not cause you to lose threat unless you are relying only on holy shield to generate it, which you shouldn't be.

And he isnot saying take dodge to 35% and leave parry 15% and block at 10%. While may be ideal in terms of mitigation, it is definatley not plausable pre-karazhan. It is possible however, to get 25% dodge, 15% parry, and 20% block. It's even possible to get dodge as high as 35% fully raid buffed, though not neccesarily advisable to sacrifice that much stam to get there.

And last but not least - dodge rocks - mob parry sucks cuz it can cause mobs/bosses to hit faster and then 1-2 shot you by leapfrogging your "oh shit" buttons and abilities.

Now if I only knew how to hit those buttons fast enough or how to set up a decent UI - then I would be a really good tank - cuz in theory I am:)

Tender love and care,
Last edited by Slamdorff on Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Slamdorff

Postby Xirouz » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:30 am

Noblehammer wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Crushingblow immunity is different for paladins than its for warriors. Paladins have holyshield that is 8 blocks when warriors have only 2. This means paladin is crushing immune if boss aint hitting faster than 1.25hit/s, which is basicly all the time. This makes huge difference for paladin and warrior tanks at fast hitting bosses and ofc that helps also at AOEtanking several mobs. Warriors and paladins have both change to be totally passively crushing immunes, but paladins Holyshield gives him change to focus more on stuff like stam/armor/spelldmg. For more info about paladin tanking in general you can ofc read from. http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.htm ... 9826&sid=1

hmm yh, well i think we got a difference in opionion into what exactly is passive

you mentioned it is possible to be passively immune to crushing blows however i take the word passively immune to mean to be without doing anything at all, so infact if you are raising shield block or using holyshield that is not passive, ur gonna need very good gear atleast hyjal BT stuff to be properly passively immune.

and yh i like the addon tank points, however it can sometimes be misleading in terms of stamina and dodge, e.g the more dodge u get the higher than tank points i have 82581 tank points right now but i know if i gemmed/enchanted all my gear for dodge then i would get higher tank points but that wont be the best tank gear, so yh as a general guide its nice but dont take it as absolute fact.

I didnt mean using holy shield is passively crushing immune :lol: ment that if warriors want to reach total crushing immunity without any kind of talent, they must work shitloads for that. Basicly paladins can reach it much easier throught spell called holyshield. its not passive i know its spell. but it makes it possible unlike for warriors without BT/MH gear filled with dodge gems.
Xirouz

Postby Midran » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:49 pm

Xirouz wrote:I didnt mean using holy shield is passively crushing immune :lol: ment that if warriors want to reach total crushing immunity without any kind of talent, they must work shitloads for that. Basicly paladins can reach it much easier throught spell called holyshield. its not passive i know its spell. but it makes it possible unlike for warriors without BT/MH gear filled with dodge gems.

Actually it's the other way around, it's easier for warriors to reach active crushing immunity:

Satrina wrote:Holy Shield
This is the paladin equivalent to Shield Block uncrushable; temporary uncrushability. Paladin tanks need to achieve the same 100% goal that warriors do (sort of - see below), but they do not have the Shield Block ability. Instead, they have the Holy Shield talent, which grants 30% block chance for 8 charges or 10 seconds. Here is a good point to mention the Libram of Repentance, which grants 42 block rating (5.32% block chance) while Holy Shield is active. Effectively the Libram increases Holy Shield to a 35.32% block chance. It's a heroic badge reward, and you need it (at least until Mother Shahraz). We will assume the paladin tank has the Libram of Repentance as part of their gear.

It's a longer road for a paladin tank to gear up to the point of being Holy Shield uncrushable, since they need 64.68% (miss + dodge + parry + block) from gear when they activate Holy Shield (assuming the Libram of Repentance, as above). Note that we also assume 2/2 Improved Holy Shield talent for Holy Shield uncrushable, increasing the number of Holy Shield charges from 4 to 8 over the 10 second duration.

One other thing about Holy Shield has a duration of 10 seconds with a 10 second cooldown. Lag, mana, or other factors can cause a gap between Holy Shield ending and being recast, allowing crushing blows to slip in. Contrast to Improved Shield Block, which has a 6 second duration and a 5 second cooldown. This is generally not a major issue for the most part, though.

Quoted from Satrina's Evil Empire.

Please note that passive uncrushability (for warriors) is possible with Kara/Heroic gear, but that would leave a warrior tank with very low health. That would make possible for a boss to kill a warrior tank even with normal damage, without crits and crushing blows.

That becomes a viable option only with ZA/Tier 5/Tier 6 upgrades.
Every time a feral druid screws up a resto druid the feral druid is a real asshole.
Midran

Postby Xirouz » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:26 pm

Ofc its easier but warriors have only 2 blocks paladins have 8 :) that makes quite bit difference there. Paladin needs more gear for that but when reaching phase where you are crushing immune with HolyShield its clear advantage to pally tank. Not answering to this flamebait anymore :lol:
Xirouz

Postby Midran » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:36 pm

Xirouz wrote:Ofc its easier but warriors have only 2 blocks paladins have 8 :) that makes quite bit difference there. Paladin needs more gear for that but when reaching phase where you are crushing immune with HolyShield its clear advantage to pally tank. Not answering to this flamebait anymore :lol:

I don't see why you see this as a flamebait, we even haven't started a discussion about avoidance/sta tanks... :mrgreen:

Satrina wrote:Shield Block
This is the easiest way to do it. Invoking the Shield Block ability adds 75% to your chance to block for two charges or 5 seconds - you're already 3/4 of the way there! If your (miss + dodge + parry + block) before hitting Shield Block is at least 25%, you're uncrushable when you hit Shield Block (sort of - see below). For convenience, we'll call this Shield Block uncrushable. That is, you are uncrushable while you have charges of Shield Block remaining - it is a temporary state of being uncrushable.

Right here we see a popular myth put to bed. You do not need 25% block chance to be Shield Block uncrushable. You never did. What you need is (miss + dodge + parry + block) = 25%. Myth busted. Note that due to combat table precedence, all of your (miss + dodge + parry) is kept, and so some of the 75% from shield block may be discarded since in the uncrushable state, block is the lowest precedence remaining on the table.

Note that we do assume 1/1 Improved Shield Block talent for Shield Block uncrushable. If you don't have that, you're wrong. The typical boss that doesn't dual wield has a swing timer of around two seconds. One charge of Shield Block is not going to cut it since it will get consumed on the first hit and you will risk crushing blows while Shield Block is coolding down. Even two charges sometimes does not cut it if the boss also has a special attack that can be blocked that lands while Shield Block is active. In this case, a timely miss/dodge/parry (which won't remove a charge of Shield Block) to keep the crushing blows away while Shield Block finishes cooling down is happiness. Thunder Clap (use Improved Thunder Clap!) helps to slow down the attacks to increase the chance of Shield Block refreshing with minimum chance to sneak a crushing blow in there.
Every time a feral druid screws up a resto druid the feral druid is a real asshole.
Midran

Postby Slamdorff » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:06 pm

I agree Midran:) Maybe we should move this to another section.

Yes, Satrina writes "minimum" - but even thunder clap wont help much against fast hitting bosses like Prince or the lynx in ZA. Paladins wil remain uncrushable longer.

And thats why (as a helping hand to warriors and bears:)), neither Bear nor Lynx in ZA can crush - the rest can however.

There has been some talk about removing crushes completely - I don't think they should, though.

Thunder Clap is imo the real difference between warriors and pallys - 20% slower speed= 20% less damage taken - gief a free warrior in my group:) Its the most OP prot warrior talent.

Do officers or anybody still believe that warriors are superior to pallys and bears as tanks? And thus should be default "raid main tanks" (if anybody still uses that outdated pre 3.2 term)?? Thats what I would like to know.
Slamdorff

Postby Jura » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:40 pm

OK...situation goes like this.

Biggest problem with prot palies is not the question that they are good tank material or not. They are.

Some top guilds use them, some don't. Top guilds that is trying to make perfect raid are usually skipping paladins for several reasons:
- optimal number of paladins in raid is 3 >there are 3 blessings that are really useful and you need buffs from other classed
- paladin is currently the best single target healer. No matter how good paly tank is, holy paladin is role paladins are best at now. so you have 3 paly spots and you want 3 paladins.

on the other hand, those guilds are using Warriors as MT, and DPS Warrs and bears as OT. It all goes to maximizing your performance. That is what you need if you want to beat content first.

Do I believe in Paly MT in SSC/TK? Why not. You have some advantages that others haven't, but some disadvantages also. You are best AoE tanks for sure. From DPS perspective > more TPS tanks does better he is. I'm not sure you can beat druids there or warriors after 2.3 patch.

from healer perspective >easier to heal and better survivability>maybe gurham or some other healer can tell us his views on that.
Jura
Nerf me!

Postby Midran » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:45 pm

That's true, Satrina assumes that for normal bosses that don't dual wield and don't have any special attacks.

Regarding Thunder Clap - I have one word: [item]Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker[/item]. :mrgreen:

Get that and there'll be no difference between you and warrior tanks. ;-)

I don't really like such generalizations as which class is the best tanking/healing/dpsing class. Things in WoW are very situational and every encounter brings its own set of factor, just as much as every raid group brings its own set of factors. Even in the same encounter things are not the same if you come with a different healer...
Midran

Postby Noblehammer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:59 pm

yh i think its like midran and jura said , there is a clear difference between druid and warrior tank - this is clear, suriveabilty wise.

however i dont think there is a massive amount of difference between equally geared warrior / paladin in healing terms.

but some end bosses can be tanked by pallys and some cant , due to charge and taunt etc however there is no end game boss that i know off that wont work with a warrior as the MT. so instead of changing all the time it seems easier just to keep a warrior as the MT. and what it is fact is that warrior surviveabilty scales with gear so better gear warrior gets, the more it gets better that other tanks.

i think its not that your inferior to a warrior tank or even a druid tank at Main tanking, its just that you are without doubt best at Aoe tanking.

infact it is actually blizzards fault making prot warriors so low on the tps and not as good at aoe tanking. but maybe changes in the new expac.
Noblehammer

Previous

Return to Recruitment